Keeping your heart happy and healthy is important. The best part is, a variety of delicious foods can help you do this.
Key nutrients for heart health:
- Magnesium: helps to maintain a normal blood pressure and heart rate. Best foods to support intake: Dark leafy greens, wholegrains, legumes
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Supports a healthy blood flow and blood vessels. Also helps to maintain normal cholesterol. Best foods to support intake: Nuts and seeds, fatty fish like salmon, soybeans.
- Folate: Aids in the production of blood cells and neurotransmitters and converting amino acids to support heart health. Best foods to support intake: Green vegetables, eggs, legumes.
A salom omlette with guac is the perfect meal to tick all the happy heart boxes.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs – parsley, chives, dill
- 2 x lemon wedge
- Salt and pepper
- 2 x slice smoked salmon
- ½ medium avocado
- 1 tsp chopped spring onion
- Remove the avocado flesh with a spoon and add to a bowl. Add salt, pepper, spring onion and lemon juice and mash together.
- Whisk the eggs with the herbs, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat a small pan or skillet on medium heat and spray with olive oil spray.
- Pour eggs into the pan and swirl the pan until the entire bottom is coated in the egg mixture.
- Using a non-stick spatula, push the edges of the egg mix toward the middle of the pan, so the uncooked eggs move to the edge. Repeat this process until the egg mix is fully cooked through but somewhat soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- On a plate, fold the omelette into thirds.
- Top with salmon and guacamole and serve immediately.