It’s time to Spice It Up!
Herbs and spices yield no energy but can change the flavour profile of your food monumentally. Here at DCE, this is a core value we follow with all meals we produce. Using an array of herbs and spices in your cooking can be a great way to add extra flavour whilst avoiding unwanted nasties. Use during the cooking process to allow the flavour time to properly release.
Mexican is a cuisine that uses an abundance of herbs and spices to create that delish flavour we all love about it! Here is a simple recipe you can use to have a fab Taco Tuesday in the coming weeks.
- 10ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 250g chicken mince
- Small brown onion, diced
- ½ packet fajita seasoning
- 200g cooked brown rice
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup canned corn kernels, rinsed
- 1 ½ cups spinach leaves
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 carrot
- ½ small red onion
- ½ medium avocado
- ½ cup
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 3 corn chips
- Coriander, to garnish
- Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan. Fry off diced brown onion until cooked through. Add chicken mince and break apart – stir fry until completely cooked through. Season with salt, pepper and half a packet of fajita seasoning.
- Dice spinach leaves, tomato, red onion and avocado. Shred carrot.
- Meanwhile, heat brown rice and divide into 2 bowls.
- Top with spinach, tomato, carrot and onion. Divide, corn, black beans and mince mix between bowls.
- Top with cheese, diced avocado, Greek yoghurt and crushed up corn chips.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy!